If you’ve been in the Network Marketing Industry for any length of time, you’ve heard people talking about the importance of your ‘Why’. The ‘Why’ is basically a short-handed reference to the question,”Why are you doing this business?”
In this post, I want to take some time to clarify the difference between having a strong ‘Why’ vs. having one that will not propel you into success.
So often in the network marketing industry, people get really distracted with the ‘how to’s’ and the action steps of being in business, and the inner game work that needs to happen goes by the wayside.
The fact of the matter is that, if you get the inner game mastered, the how to’s will fall into place.
A HUGE component of having a strong inner game is having a powerful ‘Why’.
Here’s why this is…
- When you are committed to living the life of your dreams, some people will call you crazy. As long as your ‘Why’ is strong enough, you won’t let the naysayers in the world stop you from achieving your dreams.
- It takes risks sometimes to achieve your dreams and goals. If your ‘Why‘ is strong enough, you’ll be willing to take those risks.
- You will come face-to-face with your fear along the way as you set out to live the life of your dreams. Fear shows up whenever we try to push our boundaries and grow. The best way to overcome fear is to have a very strong ‘Why’.
Ask yourself this:
Why is it that you want to move forward in your life?
Why is it that you want to grow?
If you have a really strong desire for this growth (A.K.A. a powerful ‘Why’), this is what will move you through your fears and your excuses.
Okay, so now ask yourself, “Why am I doing this business?”
How strong is the desire you mentioned when answering that question?
If you find a desire that’s strong enough, you will be able to overcome any obstacle that crosses your path. If the desire (the ‘Why’) isn’t strong enough, you will get stopped dead in your tracks when faced with obstacles or excuses.
Here’s the key. When you’re thinking about your ‘Why’, remember that it has to be a well-structured ‘Why’ with strong roots.
NOT something like, “I want to have more money.”
Think about what the money will give you in your life. Go as deep as you can, and then you can discover your real ‘Why’.
- I will have the ability to spend more time with my kids/family.
- I will be able to treat myself to ____ (something nice- whatever that is for you)
- I will be able to travel and see the world
- I will be able to do ___ (something you’re really passionate about- ex: write a book, record a CD, etc. )
- I will be able to make a difference by doing ___ (how do you want to give back?)
In the words of my friend, the great Mark Hoverson,
“The Universe doesn’t give millions of dollars to people who don’t know what they’re going to do with it.
Your ‘Why” needs to be bigger than you. How will your family be better off when you achieve x? How will your community benefit from your success? Your state? Your country?”
Allow yourself to think BIG and find something that you can realy get passionate about.
Whatever it is that you come up with, you want to be certain that it’s so powerful that you wake up every morning and start thinking about it. Nothing will knock you off track of achieving it. It’s something you are going to have in your life NO MATTER WHAT.
Keep in mind, your ‘Why’ will not be the first thing that comes to mind when you start to think about what it might be. It cannot be a logical idea like, “I need to get out of debt.”
Your ‘Why’ has to be something that you feel emotionally attached to… something that you can literally embody.
Your ‘Why’ has to live within your heart… it’s not simply anÂ idea that you have in your mind.
Your ‘Why’ is not just a goal that you write down on a piece of paper… it’s something that becomes a part of you.
An effective ‘Why’ will be one that is deep-rooted, one that drives you to take action every single day, one that feels almost like an obsession.
When you find what it is for you, everything you do and everything you think about will be driven by this ‘Why’.
The obstacles will come no matter what. But once you figure out your ‘Why’, they will no longer stop you. You will be UNSTOPPABLE.