Have you ever found yourself stopped dead in your tracks, unable to complete a project (or maybe even unable to even get started with a brilliant idea that you have) because you are trying to get it right or make sure it’s perfect?
If so, this is the episode for you.
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, because it’s something that I have struggled with (and continue to struggle with) as an entrepreneur. I believe that, as human beings, it’s something pretty much everyone struggles with on some level.
I hope you will hear something today that will help you have a realization about what your need to be perfect is actually costing you, and a breakthrough around how you can simply shift that for yourself.
Enjoy the episode!
Key topics discussed in this episode:
The 5 Biggest Things Perfection is Costing You in Your Business
- The best place that you can get feedback on what you’re working on is from the marketplace.
- It’s better to get your work out into the marketplace FIRST and tweak later.
“If your product is perfect the first time you launch it, then you’ve spent too much time on it. ” ~ Unknown
- Conversions on ads will give you direct feedback from your target audience about what they prefer
- Your opinion is not what matters most. It’s your audience’s opinion that really matters.
- All of the time you spend changing and tweaking and adding and deleting things in regard to your product is time that you are not earning money from that product.
- It’s costing you time that could be used elsewhere in your business (on your marketing, etc).
- It’s also costing you your time freedom (ability to travel, time with family, etc).
4) Sanity/ Peace of Mind
- Going over things again and again in your mind is costing you your sanity (and probably causing loss of sleep, etc as well).
5) Joy & Happiness (Causing Regret)
- If you don’t bring your idea to fruition, someone else eventually will.
- If you wait to long, the idea will no longer be yours.
5 Ways to Overcome the Need for Perfection
1) Recognize That You Have a Need for Perfection
- Ask yourself, “Am I spending too much time on the task at hand? Could I leave it as is and move on?”
- If the answer is ‘yes’, then move on!
- Everything is editable!
- We are constantly evolving and so is our brand and our content.
2) Stop Procrastinating (Focus on ACTION)
- Ask: “What action can I take right now?”
â€œThe critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. Itâ€™s as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today.â€ ~ Nolan Bushnell
3) Think of Mistakes as Lessons (Failing Forward)
- You have to make mistakes in order to become a master at anything.
- Every time you fail, you become better at your craft or skill.
- The only way to reach perfection is to make mistakes.
4) Move Through the Fear and Self Doubt
- Recognize the fear and doubt and take action anyway
5) Stop Comparing Yourself to Others
- This will stop us dead in our tracks every time!
- This does not serve you in any way.
- Instead, practice self love.
- There’s only one YOU.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Submit Questions to Amy
- 5 Ways To Overcome the Need for Perfection (.PDF to hang by your desk)
- Subscribe to this podcast
- Connect with me on Facebook